Monday, June 1, 2009

Memorable expeirences = Dynamic experiences of subjectivity, affect and emotion

I found out an interesting news in Gamasutra by Leigh Alexander today. He reported what Sam Gilbert from MacArthur funded GoodPlay Project said during a panel discussion at the Games for Change 2009 Conference in New York.

Interesting quotes are below:
Bad experiences in games are important, Gilbert argues, because they're essential to engendering empathy. Getting "screwed out of loot" in WoW can teach a player "what it means to be taken out of something you feel you've rightly earned," he says -- and that design principle can encourage players to better empathize with others in the real world.

"Often times, to encourage change in the way we think about ethical issues, you need to be at the brunt of some bad moral issues," he says.

When a game forces players to take actions or confront issues with which they're uncomfortable, said Gilbert, it makes them "most reflective on what it is that you're doing, why you're doing it -- and often that can lead to very positive things."
Research questions for my study also focus on memorable playing experience: What kind of game playing experiences players find memorable? Why are these experience memorable? My hypothesis is that experience that they allow players to confront their subjectivity and impact their affective domain and emotion will rank high. This is also in line with Loyer's view of how where game design ought to put focus on.

From my own experience playing Granado Espada, I can remember vividly how I was in tears when I had to leave my first faction. Then there were many occasions where I have to come to terms with my online behaviour and conduct with my belief and life principles. Experiences that make me confront my subjectivity and impact my affective domain and emotion are memorable to me. Whether these are what I take away from playing? I do not know. How can I translate how players "read" and what they take away from playing into simpler constructs that players can understand and respond at ease. : /

No comments:

Post a Comment