Friday, March 13, 2009

The burden of writing

The burden of writing is not just to complete an assignment but to ensure what gets communicated is clear and readers don't take away a message but THE MESSAGE that you want them to. Dr M spent half of his lesson last Wednesday teaching us how to organise our ideas in ways that a reader can understand everything by just reading our abstract, goes to our intro or chapter one then skip everything else and read our conclusion. He said that everything in the body is implied in the intro and conclusion. I was glad that he brought us through this because so far there isn't a module that teach us how to write research paper or dissertation.

Anyway, the outline that I had prepared earlier is good as rubbish. Will work on one soon. Good news is I got my first version abstract out. Here it is...

Superstitions in MMORPG:
Identifying suitable epistemological frame for analysis

Superstitions in Massively Multiplayer Online Role-playing Game (MMORPG) is a phenomenon that has received rare mention in present literature on game research. In this paper, I present an analysis of two superstitious practices found in a MMORPG called Granado Espada concerning enchantment and chipping of weapons and armours. For the analysis, I view the phenomenon from two epistemological frames - cognitive and social constructivism, to argue [will find out what come out from the analysis]. To substantiate my claim, I draw from [need more reading and thinking through].

Any comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment