Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The future of Indonesia

I just got to blog about about her. She was my former student, a great joy to teach! I have loads of nice things to say about her... intelligent, pleasant-looking, focused, strong-willed, humble, helpful, committed, and so on and on....As I remember back then, she belonged to a very special batch of Indonesian students that I was fortunate enough to have. They are all very good students with great personalities and they did well for their studies too.

I knew then that they are meant for something great. I recall numerous occasions where I would exhorted them to think about their social responsibility as citizens of Indonesia. At that time, it was a few years after Suharto had lost his grip on Indonesia and when his regime fell, Indonesians was struggling to find a strong leader that can bring stability back to their country. I told them that Indonesia is a sleeping giant, waiting to be awoken and it is their responsibility to return back to Indonesia after they have completed their studies and be the agent to bring change to Indonesia. And now, one of them is taking the lead by taking part in the coming election.

I had the pleasure of meeting her last year and continue maintaining contact with her through email and msn. I love her political slogan as it connects well especially with the growing youth population and generally with the public at large. Her experience for the election has and will continue to develop her further and I have full confidence that she will be elected into the legislative council and one day, heads the whole of Indonesia!

Nathania, I just can't say enough how I am so proud of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment