Saturday, March 21, 2009

Granado Espada

So below is the site of my research, a MMOG called Granado Espada. I learn that in Spanish it means Fruit Sword. Funny. No wonder not many Spanish speaking players are here because the game title, while sounds cool in English, is a joke in Spanish. ^-^



I have been playing this game since March last year. Wow! I didn't realize that a year has passed since. Anyway, since classes began in this year, I am hardy online. It comes as a surprise to me that my faction leader still keeps me in the faction despite me missing so many faction events, especially colony wars. I guess the deputy, who is a good friend of mine and we join the faction about the same time, must have been buying me time. Now each time I log-in, there so many new faces that I don't even know. While I'm glad that they prune the faction from non-active players, I know I have to start playing regularly. I promise to be around tomorrow for the colony war to defend our colony and play regularly once I clear the two modules this semester.

Oh yes, didn't I mention that my 8 years old son too play this game. He's very cool. He owned a faction before (when I never had any experience being a FL before) and called it by my family characters' name. Isn't that nice. That boy of mine really looks up to me. : ) He had trouble recruiting players into his faction. Those that joined him decided to leave once they discovered that it was a one-man faction. I thought I would like to join him, only to learn later that he had quit his faction to join his friends in another faction.

He gets enculturated into the way of being in the game very fast. I see spills over of this into his school works - in his composition where at times he use chat English. I am not too concern about this because I see quite a fair bits of good stuff he has gained from playing. For example, he has picked up many difficult vocabulary (not only games vocab, trust me) as playing affords him many context to learn and apply them. We talk a great deal more now because of our common interest in games and this concurs with many papers I have read where real world relationship get betters when family members play games together. I am not sure whether I am going to do a Piaget here - study my own kid for research, like what Norman intends to do. But I do acknowledge that by looking at what he is going through gives me a glimpse of what I can expect from my research.

No comments:

Post a Comment