Saturday, March 7, 2009

Superstitions in MMORPG: From cognitive and social contructivism lens

I'm thinking about Dr M final assignment. His module is about social foundation of learning sciences. What I have in mind is to present an analysis of a social phenomenon (superstitions in MMORPG) from two lens - taking epistemology to be cognitive constructivism and social constructivism. The whole idea is to highlight how taking cognitive constructivism lens will restrict the scope of analysis and disregards the impact of socio-cultural forces in shaping game play. This assignment will also help strengthen my argument for my choice of epistemology, theoretical perspective, methodology and methods for the final assignment for Steve's class and for relevant sections of my dissertation.

I am all up for social constructivism as epistemology for my dissertation. For theoretical perspective, I am going for symbolic interactionism and perhaps too Lave and Wenger's Legitimate Peripheral Participation. As for methodology, I am taking on symbolic interaction (symbolic interaction can be both at theoretical perspective and methodology levels) and for methods - observations and interview.

The artifact for my analysis is a piece of an interview script with a gamer. So, for cognitive constructivism lens, I am contemplating to go for cognitive psychology as theoretical perspective, phenomenology as a methodology and discourse analysis as method. I will also look into the literature on superstitions (I probably find nothing on MMORPG because so far only Nick Yee talk about superstitions in MMORPG) and see how codings I'll find there be useful for my discourse analysis.

No comments:

Post a Comment